Was Islam Spread by the Sword?
JMD Morgan
2009-06-01 12:54:17 UTC
Was Islam Spread by the Sword?

Refutation of a common myth that states Islam was spread by the sword
and that people were forced to become Muslims.
By AlJumuah Magazine

It is a common misconception with some non-Muslims that Islam would not
have millions of adherents all over the world, if it had not been spread
by the use of force.

The following points will make it clear, that far from being spread by
the sword, it was the inherent force of truth, reason and logic that was
responsible for the rapid spread of Islam.

Islam has always given respect and freedom of religion to all faiths.
Freedom of religion is ordained in the Quran itself:

“There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion. The
right course has become clear from the wrong.” (Quran 2:256)

The noted historian De Lacy O’Leary wrote:[1] “History makes it clear
however, that the legend of fanatical Muslims sweeping through the world
and forcing Islam at the point of the sword upon conquered races is one
of the most fantastically absurd myths that historians have ever repeated.”

The famous historian, Thomas Carlyle, in his book Heroes and Hero
worship, refers to this misconception about the spread of Islam: “The
sword indeed, but where will you get your sword? Every new opinion, at
its starting is precisely in a minority of one; in one man’s head alone.
There it dwells as yet. One man alone of the whole world believes it,
there is one man against all men. That he takes a sword and tries to
propagate with that will do little for him. You must get your sword! On
the whole, a thing will propagate itself as it can.”

If Islam was spread by the sword, it was the sword of intellect and
convincing arguments. It is this sword that conquers the hearts and
minds of people. The Quran says in this connection:

“Invite to the way of your Lord with wisdom and good instruction, and
argue with them in a way that is best.” (Quran 16:125)
The facts speak for themselves

· Indonesia is the country that has the largest number of Muslims
in the world, and the majority of people in Malaysia are Muslims. But,
no Muslim army ever went to Indonesia or Malaysia. It is an established
historical fact that Indonesia entered Islam not due to war, but because
of its moral message. Despite the disappearance of Islamic government
from many regions once ruled by it, their original inhabitants have
remained Muslims. Moreover, they carried the message of truth, inviting
others to it as well, and in so doing endured harm, affliction and
oppression. The same can be said for those in the regions of Syria and
Jordan, Egypt, Iraq, North Africa, Asia, the Balkans and in Spain. This
shows that the effect of Islam on the population was one of moral
conviction, in contrast to occupation by western colonialists, finally
compelled to leave lands whose peoples held only memories of affliction,
sorrow, subjugation and oppression.

· Muslims ruled Spain (Andalusia) for about 800 years. During this
period the Christians and Jews enjoyed freedom to practice their
respective religions, and this is a documented historical fact.

· Christian and Jewish minorities have survived in the Muslim lands
of the Middle East for centuries. Countries such as Egypt, Morocco,
Palestine, Lebanon, Syria, and Jordan all have significant Christian and
Jewish populations.

· Muslims ruled India for about a thousand years, and therefore had
the power to force each and every non-Muslim of India to convert to
Islam, but they did not, and thus more than 80% of the Indian population
remains non-Muslim.

· Similarly, Islam spread rapidly on the East Coast of Africa. And
likewise no Muslim army was ever dispatched to the East Coast of Africa.

· An article in Reader’s Digest ‘Almanac’, yearbook 1986, gives the
statistics of the increase of the percentage of the major religions of
the world in half a century from 1934 to 1984. This article also
appeared in The Plain Truth magazine. At the top was Islam, which
increased by 235%, while Christianity had increased by 47%. During this
fifty-year period, there was no “Islamic conquest” yet Islam spread at
an extraordinary rate.

· Today the fastest growing religion in America and Europe is
Islam. The Muslims in these lands are a minority. The only sword they
have in their possession is the sword of truth. It is this sword that
is converting thousands to Islam.

· Islamic law protects the privileged status of minorities, and
that is why non-Muslim places of worship have flourished all over the
Islamic world. Islamic law also allows non-Muslim minorities to set up
their own courts, which implement family laws drawn up by the minorities
themselves. The life and property of all citizens in an Islamic state
are considered sacred whether they are Muslims or not.
Conclusion

It is clear, therefore, that Islam did not spread by the sword. The
“sword of Islam” did not convert all the non-Muslim minorities in Muslim
countries. In India, where Muslims ruled for 800 years, they are still
a minority. In the U.S.A., Islam is the fastest growing religion and
has over six million followers.

In his book The World’s Religions, Huston Smith discusses how the
prophet Muhammad granted freedom of religion to the Jews and Christians
under Muslim rule:

The Prophet had a document drawn up in which he stipulated that Jews and
Christians “shall be protected from all insults and harm; they shall
have an equal right with our own people to our assistance and good
offices,” and further, “they shall practice their religion as freely as
the Muslims.”[2]

Smith points out that Muslims regard that document as the first charter
of freedom of conscience in human history and the authoritative model
for those of every subsequent Muslim state.

Footnotes:

[1] In his book Islam at the Crossroads, p.8.

[2] Quoted in The World’s Religions by Huston Smith, Harper Collins,
1991, p. 256
Article Tools
Docky Wocky
2009-06-01 15:07:14 UTC
Do bears shit in the woods?
william hubbard
2009-06-01 18:14:52 UTC
Post by Docky Wocky
Do bears shit in the woods?
No, they shi'ite..
RBRK
2009-06-01 15:39:28 UTC
Post by JMD Morgan
Was Islam Spread by the Sword?
Refutation of a common myth that states Islam was spread by the sword
and that people were forced to become Muslims.
By AlJumuah Magazine
It is a common misconception with some non-Muslims that Islam would not
have millions of adherents all over the world, if it had not been spread
by the use of force.
YOU ROTTEN SAG ARAB MUSLIM LIAR

623 - Battle of Waddan
623 - Battle of Safwan
623 - Battle of Dul-Ashir
624 - Muhammad and converts begin raids on caravans to fund the movement.
624 - Zakat becomes mandatory
624 - Battle of Badr
624 - Battle of Bani Salim
624 - Battle of Eid-ul-Fitr and Zakat-ul-Fitr
624 - Battle of Bani Qainuqa
624 - Battle of Sawiq
624 - Battle of Ghatfan
624 - Battle of Bahran
625 - Battle of Uhud. 70 Muslims are killed.
625 - Battle of Humra-ul-Asad
625 - Battle of Banu Nudair
625 - Battle of Dhatur-Riqa
626 - Battle of Badru-Ukhra
626 - Battle of Dumatul-Jandal
626 - Battle of Banu Mustalaq Nikah
627 - Battle of the Trench
627 - Battle of Ahzab
627 - Battle of Bani Quraiza
627 - Battle of Bani Lahyan
627 - Battle of Ghaiba
627 - Battle of Khaibar
628 - Muhammad signs treaty with Quraish.
630 - Muhammad conquers Mecca.
630 - Battle of Hunsin.
630 - Battle of Tabuk
632 - Muhammad dies.
632 - Abu-Bakr, Muhammads father-in-law, along with Umar, begin a
military move to enforce Islam in Arabia.

633 - Battle at Oman
633 - Battle at Hadramaut.
633 - Battle of Kazima
633 - Battle of Walaja
633 - Battle of Ulleis
633 - Battle of Anbar
634 - Battle of Basra,
634 - Battle of Damascus
634 - Battle of Ajnadin.
634 - Death of Hadrat Abu Bakr. Hadrat Umar Farooq becomes the Caliph.
634 - Battle of Namaraq
634 - Battle of Saqatia.
635 - Battle of Bridge.
635 - Battle of Buwaib.
635 - Conquest of Damascus.
635 - Battle of Fahl.
636 - Battle of Yermuk.
636 - Battle of Qadsiyia.
636 - Conquest of Madain.
637 - Battle of Jalula.
638 - Battle of Yarmouk.
638 - The Muslims defeat the Romans and enter Jerusalem.
638 - Conquest of Jazirah.
639 - Conquest of Khuizistan and movement into Egypt.
641 - Battle of Nihawand
642 - Battle of Ray in Persia
643 - Conquest of Azarbaijan
644 - Conquest of Fars
644 - Conquest of Kharan.
644 - Umar is murdered. Othman becomes the Caliph.
647 - Conquest of the island of Cypress
644 - Uman dies and is succeeded by Caliph Uthman.
648 - Campaign against the Byzantines.
651 - Naval battle against the Byzantines.
654 - Islam spreads into North Africa
656 - Uthman is murdered. Ali become Caliph.
658 - Battle of Nahrawan.
659 - Conquest of Egypt
661 - Ali is murdered.
662 - Egypt falls to Islam rule.
666 - Sicily is attacked by Muslims
677 - Siege of Constantinople
687 - Battle of Kufa
691 - Battle of Deir ul Jaliq
700 - Sufism takes root as a sect of Islam
700 - Military campaigns in North Africa
702 - Battle of Deir ul Jamira
711 - Muslims invade Gibraltar
711 - Conquest of Spain
713 - Conquest of Multan
716 - Invasion of Constantinople
732 - Battle of Tours in France.
740 - Battle of the Nobles.
741 - Battle of Bagdoura in North Africa
744 - Battle of Ain al Jurr.
746 - Battle of Rupar Thutha
748 - Battle of Rayy.
749 - Battle of lsfahan
749 - Battle of Nihawand
750 - Battle of Zab
772 - Battle of Janbi in North Africa
777 - Battle of Saragossa in Spain

NEVER TRUST SAG ARAB MUSLIMS
THEY ARE BRED BY LIARS TO BECOME LIARS.

FUCK PALISTAN
JMD Morgan
2009-06-01 19:13:05 UTC
EXAMPLES OF HATE SPEECH

1. "There is a huge gap between us (Jews) and our enemies ­not just in
ability but in morality, culture, sanctity of life, and conscience. They
are our neighbors here, but it seems as if at a distance of a few
hundred meters away, there are people who do not belong to our
continent, to our world, but actually belong to a different galaxy."
Israeli president Moshe Katsav. The Jerusalem Post, May 10, 2001

2. "The Palestinians are like crocodiles, the more you give them meat,
they want more".... Ehud Barak, Prime Minister of Israel at the time -
August 28, 2000. Reported in the Jerusalem Post August 30, 2000

3. " [The Palestinians are] beasts walking on two legs." Menahim Begin,
speech to the Knesset, quoted in Amnon Kapeliouk, "Begin and the
Beasts". New Statesman, 25 June 1982.

4. "The Palestinians" would be crushed like grasshoppers ... heads
smashed against the boulders and walls." " Isreali Prime Minister (at
the time) in a speech to Jewish settlers New York Times April 1, 1988

5. "When we have settled the land, all the Arabs will be able to do
about it will be to scurry around like drugged cockroaches in a bottle."
Raphael Eitan, Chief of Staff of the Israeli Defence Forces, New York
Times, 14 April 1983.

6. "How can we return the occupied territories? There is nobody to
return them to." Golda Maier, March 8, 1969.

7. "There was no such thing as Palestinians, they never existed." Golda
Maier Israeli Prime Minister June 15, 1969

8. "The thesis that the danger of genocide was hanging over us in June
1967 and that Israel was fighting for its physical existence is only
bluff, which was born and developed after the war." Israeli General
Matityahu Peled, Ha'aretz, 19 March 1972.

9. David Ben Gurion (the first Israeli Prime Minister): "If I were an
Arab leader, I would never sign an agreement with Israel. It is normal;
we have taken their country. It is true God promised it to us, but how
could that interest them? Our God is not theirs. There has been Anti -
Semitism, the Nazis, Hitler, Auschwitz, but was that their fault ? They
see but one thing: we have come and we have stolen their country. Why
would they accept that?" Quoted by Nahum Goldmann in Le Paraddoxe Juif
(The Jewish Paradox), pp121.

10. Ben Gurion also warned in 1948 : "We must do everything to insure
they ( the Palestinians) never do return." Assuring his fellow Zionists
that Palestinians will never come back to their homes. "The old will die
and the young will forget."

11. "We have to kill all the Palestinians unless they are resigned to
live here as slaves." Chairman Heilbrun of the Committee for the
Re-election of General Shlomo Lahat, the mayor of Tel Aviv, October 1983.

12. "Every time we do something you tell me America will do this and
will do that . . . I want to tell you something very clear: Don't worry
about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control
America, and the Americans know it." - Israeli Prime Minister, Ariel
Sharon, October 3, 2001, to Shimon Peres, as reported on Kol Yisrael
radio. (Certainly the FBI's cover-up of the Israeli spy ring/phone tap
scandal suggests that Mr. Sharon may not have been joking.)

13. "We declare openly that the Arabs have no right to settle on even
one centimeter of Eretz Israel... Force is all they do or ever will
understand. We shall use the ultimate force until the Palestinians come
crawling to us on all fours." Rafael Eitan, Chief of Staff of the
Israeli Defense Forces - Gad Becker, Yediot Ahronot 13 April 1983, New
York Times 14 April 1983.

14. "We must do everything to ensure they [the Palestinian refugees]
never do return" David Ben-Gurion, in his diary, 18 July 1948, quoted in
Michael Bar Zohar's Ben-Gurion: the Armed Prophet, Prentice-Hall, 1967,
p. 157.

15. " ... we should prepare to go over to the offensive with the aim of
smashing Lebanon, Trans-jordan and Syria... The weak point in the Arab
coalition is Lebanon [for] the Moslem regime is artificial and easy to
undermine. A Christian state should be established... When we smash the
[Arab] Legions strength and bomb Amman, we will eliminate Transjordan,
too, and then Syria will fall. If Egypt still dares to fight on, we
shall bomb Port Said, Alexandria, and Cairo." " David Ben-Gurion, May
1948, to the General Staff. From Ben-Gurion, A Biography, by Michael
Ben-Zohar, Delacorte, New York 1978.

16. "We must use terror, assassination, intimidation, land confiscation,
and the cutting of all social services to rid the Galilee of its Arab
population." Israel Koenig, "The Koenig Memorandum"

17. "Jewish villages were built in the place of Arab villages. You do
not even know the names of these Arab villages, and I do not blame you
because geography books no longer exist. Not only do the books not
exist, the Arab villages are not there either. Nahlal arose in the place
of Mahlul; Kibbutz Gvat in the place of Jibta; Kibbutz Sarid in the
place of Huneifis; and Kefar Yehushua in the place of Tal al-Shuman.
There is not a single place built in this country that did not have a
former Arab population." Moshe Dayan, address to the Technion, Haifa,
reported in Haaretz, April 4, 1969.

18. "We walked outside, Ben-Gurion accompanying us. Allon repeated his
question, What is to be done with the Palestinian population?'
Ben-Gurion waved his hand in a gesture which said 'Drive them out!'"
Yitzhak Rabin, leaked censored version of Rabin memoirs, published in
the New York Times, 23 October 1979.

19. Rabin's description of the conquest of Lydda, after the completion
of Plan Dalet. "We shall reduce the Arab population to a community of
woodcutters and waiters" Uri Lubrani, PM Ben-Gurion's special adviser on
Arab Affairs, 1960. From "The Arabs in Israel" by Sabri Jiryas.

20. "There are some who believe that the non-Jewish population, even in
a high percentage, within our borders will be more effectively under our
surveillance; and there are some who believe the contrary, i.e., that it
is easier to carry out surveillance over the activities of a neighbor
than over those of a tenant. [I] tend to support the latter view and
have an additional argument:...the need to sustain the character of the
state which will henceforth be Jewish...with a non-Jewish minority
limited to 15 percent. I had already reached this fundamental position
as early as 1940 [and] it is entered in my diary." Joseph Weitz, head of
the Jewish Agency's Colonization Department. From Israel: an Apartheid
State by Uri Davis, p.5.

21. "Everybody has to move, run and grab as many hilltops as they can to
enlarge the settlements because everything we take now will stay ours...
Everything we don't grab will go to them." Ariel Sharon, Israeli Foreign
Minister, addressing a meeting of militants from the extreme right-wing
Tsomet Party, Agence France Presse, November 15, 1998.

22. "It is the duty of Israeli leaders to explain to public opinion,
clearly and courageously, a certain number of facts that are forgotten
with time. The first of these is that there is no
Zionism,colonialization or Jewish State without the eviction of the
Arabs and the expropriation of their lands." Yoram Bar Porath, Yediot
Aahronot, of 14 July 1972.

23. "Spirit the penniless population across the frontier by denying it
employment... Both the process of expropriation and the removal of the
poor must be carried out discreetly and circumspectly." Theodore Herzl,
founder of the World Zionist Organization, speaking of the Arabs of
Palestine,Complete Diaries, June 12, 1895 entry.

24. "One million Arabs are not worth a Jewish fingernail." -- Rabbi
Yaacov Perrin, Feb. 27, 1994 [Source: N.Y. Times, Feb. 28, 1994, p. 1]

25. "We Jews, we are the destroyers and will remain the destroyers.
Nothing you can do will meet our demands and needs. We will forever
destroy because we want a world of our own." (You Gentiles, by Jewish
Author Maurice Samuels, p. 155).

26. "We will have a world government whether you like it or not. The
only question is whether that government will be achieved by conquest or
consent." (Jewish Banker Paul Warburg, February 17, 1950, as he
testified before the U.S. Senate).

27. "We will establish ourselves in Palestine whether you like it or
not...You can hasten our arrival or you can equally retard it. It is
however better for you to help us so as to avoid our constructive powers
being turned into a destructive power which will overthrow the world."
(Chaim Weizmann, Published in "Judische Rundschau," No. 4, 1920)
"We enthusiastically chose to become a colonial society, ignoring
international treaties, expropriating lands, transferring settlers from
Israel to the occupied territories, engaging in theft and finding
justification for all these activities. Passionately desiring to keep
the occupied territories, we developed two judicial systems: one -
progressive, liberal - in Israel; and the other - cruel, injurious - in
the occupied territories. In effect, we established an apartheid regime
in the occupied territories immediately following their capture. That
oppressive regime exists to this day."
(Michael Ben-Yair, 3 March 2002)

"Accusations made by a well-established society about how a people it is
oppressing is breaking rules to attain its rights do not have much
credence."
(Shlomo Ben-Ami, 2000)

"We'll make a pastrami sandwich of them, ... we'll insert a strip of
Jewish settlements in between the Palestinians, and then another strip
of Jewish settlements right across the West Bank, so that in 25 years'
time, neither the United Nations nor the United States, nobody, will be
able to tear it apart."
(Ariel (Arik) Sharon, 1973)

"People are scared in this country [the US], to say wrong is wrong
because the Jewish lobby is powerful - very powerful. Well, so what? For
goodness sake, this is God's world! We live in a moral universe. The
apartheid government was very powerful, but today it no longer exists.
Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Pinochet, Milosevic, and Idi Amin were all
powerful, but in the end they bit the dust. Injustice and oppression
will never prevail. Those who are powerful have to remember the litmus
test that God gives to the powerful: what is your treatment of the poor,
the hungry, the voiceless? And on the basis of that, God passes
judgment. We should put out a clarion call to the government of the
people of Israel, to the Palestinian people and say: peace is possible,
peace based on justice is possible. We will do all we can to assist you
to achieve this peace, because it is God's dream, and you will be able
to live amicably together as sisters and brothers."
(Desmond Tutu, April 2002)

"[T]here is no single fixed method for murder and not even for genocide.
The author Y. L. Peretz wrote about "the righteous cat" who does not
spill blood, but only suffocates. The government of Israel, using the
military and its instruments of destruction, is not only spilling blood,
but it is also suffocating. ... Of course with our self-righteousness,
with our self-adoration in our "Jewish ethics" we make sure to advertise
how beautifully the doctors take care of Palestinian victims in the
hospitals. We do not advertise how many of those are executed in cold
blood in their own homes. So it's not yet genocide of the terrible and
unique style of which we were past victims. And as one of the smart
Generals told me, we do not have crematoria and gas chambers. Is
anything less than that consistent with Jewish ethics? Did he ever hear
how an entire people said that it did not know what was done in its name?"
(Shulamit Aloni, March 2003)

read more ...
http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/palestinians.html?q=palestinians.html
RBRK
2009-06-01 20:01:58 UTC
DON'T CHANGE THE SUBJECT.

EXPLAIN WHY YOU SAG ARAB MOOSLIMS LIE SO MUCH?

NO WONDER YOU HAVE SUCH A SHITTY REPUTATION
docremington
2009-06-01 22:48:32 UTC
Post by JMD Morgan
Was Islam Spread by the Sword?